Wednesday, July 11, 2007

EU"ROPE ME IN" !




Hello blog fans !
Well we have arrived. We are truly getting it done. Where to start !

The flight to Europe was fine and very fast. And by that I mean an illegal painkiller and a half and two glasses of wine later I was feeling no anxiety. I think I was just also giddy to be going to Europe ! I wish I could fly everywhere in a 747 because you don’t feel anything on those babies. Props to Lufthansa for being a great airline. And having free booze.

We arrived in Barcelona and it was a quick trip over to the dock where our company manager Cody Dove met us at the gate. This guy is a pro, gentleman, scholar and just a good dude. He expedited us crew through a very long line of peeps waiting to get in and we al appreciated that. Having done a ship before, what they call “signing on” to the ship is the hardest and most annoying part. Especially after a 13 hour travel day. So Cody really busted out the Ola Wagon.

Our cabin here on the Jewel is great ! We are in a passenger cabin which is a little different from before but it is CHOICE ! It has two windows and plenty of space for Brendan and myself. The Jewel is a lovely ship. Almost like the Dawn, which we were on prior, but pimped out a bit more. It’s nice the layouts are similar so we already know where we’re going.

We are definitely still trying to adjust to the sleep factor. That first day we tried our damndest to stay up, but we ended up napping for about 2 hours. I feel like today is the first day I feel like I might be getting to feel normal. Yesterday Brendan and I were both up at like 6am. Come on body clock ! Git it together !

I have never been to Europe so everything is amazing ! Yesterday Messina Sicily was our first port and waking up was really like Christmas. You look out the window and you see the picture to the left. That is taken from the boat. Summer is lovely and you really just cannot believe you’re here. Our show is in the main theater tonight so we have only been able to get off for a couple of hours yesterday due to rehearsal. But it was enough to get a delicious cappuccino (see cast at right !) and see a church with the third largest pipe organ in Europe, the LARGEST in Italy. It was amazing.

So today we are in Naples and we aren’t leaving the ship because of rehearsal. No sweat, WE’LL BE BACK. It’s really sinking in how lucky we are and I can’t wait to see all these unbelievable places. Rome tomorrow !
(I apologize for the size of the pics, but loading these things are a bitch. Hopefully I'll have better luck later.)

3 comments:

DrTeri said...

Hi Beth and Brendan,
If, on a return trip to Naples you get the chance to go to Pompeii, do it! It is so amazing to see how people lived nearly 2000 years ago--the streets, the plumbing, the houses, the mosaics, the bath houses, the whore houses, the advertising for the whore houses... And we think we are so sexually open. Ha!
I'll be anxious to see where you go. We might just have to book a cruise too. We did a Mediterranean cruise about 4 years ago, but there are still lots of places I want to see there! Besides, I want to see you perform.
Barcelona is a great city too.
You're in my netscape favorites now, so I'll try to keep up.
It was great seeing you at Cindy's wedding.
Have fun.
"Aunt" Teri

Molly Erdman said...

Yay blog! Sounds like you guys are off to a great start. I'm sorry I missed seeing you before you left, but I hope you have some terrific adventures, Euro-style.

Molly

Deanna Moffitt said...

Hi B & B!

Thanks for blogging it up and keeping us abreast of all your travels. They sound amazing already.

Hey I'll be in Italy in October, let's see if our schedules will collide so we can hook up and you can show me all the fun places you've found.

- Deanna